On the 8th Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me...

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Eight maids a-milking

As part of the 12 days of Christmas today I am featuring Victoria from LittleWrenPottery on etsy. I have chosen Victoria's Brown and Green Speckled Milk Jug Pitcher. I was happy to get a chance to chat with Victoria and learn a little bit more about her and what makes her tick. You can truly tell she has a love for pottery and finds inspiration in the simplest perfections--and imperfections.

Q: Tell us a little about yourself

A: I'm Victoria Baker and I've been throwing for only a couple of years. My dad however has done it for many years and I've learnt how to do it from him. As a child I used to watch him throw pots on the wheel and I think to some extent hes part of the reason why throwing comes quite naturally to me. I also do a lot of other crafts like knitting, illustration and I also design websites. I've been on Etsy for about half a year or so but I do also run my professional blog The Typhon - http://www.thetyphon.com/, a heavy metal podcast called Ragnarok Radio that's been going since 2006 http://www.ragnarokradio.co.uk/ and I tweet an awful lot on twitter http://twitter.com/moominmidge

Q: Where did you get your inspiration for this item?

A: I get a lot of inspiration from nature both colours and shapes. I often think that simple forms can be beautiful and understanding how your object is to be used in everyday life is really important. Creating objects that are both beautiful and functional is key. I'm a massive fan of the pottery of Shoji Hamada. Japanese potters have a totally different outlook on what they make since imperfections are seen as beautiful - adding uniqueness to an object.

Q: What type of material was used to make this?

A: I usually throw in buff clay which produces Stoneware pots. The jug is glazed in Rutile which often gives colour variations of browns, greens and sometimes flecks of white. I just love how no pot is ever the same colour when it comes out of the kiln.

--------------------------------------------------------
What is the 12 Days of Christmas here on The Boho Birdie? Each day will represent one of the 12 Days of Christmas. We will get to meet an artist from etsy and learn a little about them and their 12 Days of Christmas themed item. Each item will have something to do with this wonderful Christmas song.


This is truly, I think, the best part of having a place like etsy. It is great meeting others who are creative in their own way--just trying to share their talents and love for their craft with others. I love it! Tomorrow is the 4th day of Christmas. I will be featuring an item with the theme of Four Calling Birds! So please come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment